Monday, October 31, 2011

A Writer's Schedule

Being a freelance writer or an aspiring novelist is hard work. Ok, I know what you are going to say, writing in general is hard work - - and you’re absolutely right! But without firm deadlines to meet, well let’s just say that sitting down to actually write is sometimes harder than it would otherwise be. Suddenly there’s the laundry that needs to be done, the dinner that needs to be cooked and the trip to the mall that you just have to take when what you really should be doing is sitting down and WRITING!
I know this because I am now officially a freelance writer/aspiring novelist. After years of firm daily, weekly and monthly writing deadlines I can actually chose my own schedule, which should be liberating but isn’t. I love deadlines. Self-imposed ones? Not so much.
Which is why I found the post “Write On or Not”(http://www.murdershewrites.com/2011/09/30/write-on-or-not/) by romance author Karin Tabke so timely. Her questions really make you think about what you want from your career and if you want a writing career at all.  It isn’t enough to stand up and announce “Today I am a writer” if you’re not going to back up that declaration with actions – in other words getting some new pages of text written each day.
So starting today I’m going to commit to carving out some writing time – well in between the laundry, the errands … oh heck, no, I’m a writer and writers write and that’s what I’m going to be doing today! How ‘bout you?

No comments:

Post a Comment